Thursday, March 18, 2010

Weekly Menu 1

I've had some comments asking to share recipes I'm using as I learn knew things about Health. I used to pride myself on making the yummiest food possible without any thought to the nutritional value of the food I was placing before my family. I love to hear "This is really good Mommy. Can we have this again sometime?" (My wonderful husband thankfully eats whatever I make which I really appreciate but since I like him so much I'd like to keep him healthy too.) Melaina's allergies eliminated most of our recipes. No more cream of whatever soups or seasoning packets. Cheese seemed to make everything better but she couldn't have that either.

I've posted a little already about some of the things we're discovering she can have. They're all called living foods because they have live microorganisms (good bacteria) that is nourishing and healing to our bodies. However, they don't all taste as good as they are. So, as part of my quest for better health for my family, I've started a new recipe binder with my oldest daughter. She received this really neat scrapbook style cookbook for Christmas and as we find nourishing recipes that actually taste good we add them to the binder. I'm so new to this but I'll share what I have so far.

I've decided to make the same meals every week until we get this new style of cooking down. Properly preparing foods that our bodies can digest takes a little more planning and preparing so I'm going to stick with this plan until we get it down and then maybe we'll try adding a little more variety.

MONDAY
Breakfast: Soaked oatmeal sweetened with agave nectar and dried fruit)
Lunch: Loaded Baked Potatoes
Dinner: Taco Salad or Black Bean Chicken Burritos with Soaked whole wheat tortillas (cut extra lettuce for Tuesday)

TUESDAY
Breakfast: Kefir smoothies and nuts?
Lunch: Leftover taco salad
Dinner: Rosemary Chicken (Make bone stock (super healing to the body)out of the carcasses and cutting veggies for the soup or soaking beans for chili Wednesday) with smashed potatoes, gravy and Salad (cut the night before)(Also soak oatmeal for Wednesday)

WEDNESDAY
Breakfast: Soaked Oatmeal Bake
Lunch and Dinner: Soup or Chicken Chili made out of the left over chicken and stock) with bread (soak rice in rice cooker for Thursday making sure there’s extra for fried rice on Friday)

THURSDAY
Breakfast: Kefir smoothies and peanut butter toast?
Lunch: Left over soup or Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwiches
Dinner: Stir Fry (alternating chicken and beef) (Also cutting veggies for egg bake and pizza Friday)

FRIDAY
Breakfast: Veggie egg bake (prepared the night before) and fruit
Lunch: Fried Rice
Dinner: Homemade Pizza

SATURDAY
Breakfast: Big breakfast (making leftovers for Sunday)
Lunch: Leftover pizza and salad with lots of raw veggies
Dinner: Variety day (trying new recipes or Daddy cooks)

SUNDAY
Breakfast: Left over breakfast from Saturday or peanut butter toast
Lunch: Kefir smoothie and salad
Dinner: Steak, potatoes, and salad
(Soak beans, rice, and oatmeal for Monday)

Snacks: kefir smoothie; fruit; raw veggies; cheese

I purchase one box of organic grass fed beef a month, and hormone and antibiotic free whole chickens. Free range would be better but I haven't worked it into the budget yet. I buy organic, omega 3 eggs, or farm fresh when I can. I buy mostly organic produce because I don't like genetically modified food or pesticides going into my children's fragile little bodies. I make all of my sauces including my own taco seasoning from scratch because everything at the store seems to have preservatives that are hard for our bodies to digest. Properly preparing our food and only putting in nourishing food allows our bodies to do what God intended them to do, use what it needs, and discharge the rest building our immune systems at the same time. I know I could use a few less fat storage's on my body and some more energy. How about you?

I will be posting recipes separately if you let me know which ones you want. To learn how to properly soak your grains I like Nourishing Gourmet and Kelly the kitchen Kop.

After reading over this I know it seems like a lot of extra work but it's really not. As I make adjustments here and there it's ended up being about the same on the food budget because I make everything from scratch and I always have the kids helping me in the kitchen. They've learned so much that they can prepare a meal themselves if I need them to. The best part is I have so much peace and joy as I serve these things to my family.

5 comments:

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

Okay, I really need to figure out what this soaking thing is all about. I'm clicking on those links! I made soaked whole wheat tortillas recently, and they were super easy and no big deal (posted on my blog). Of course, I had no idea that soaking was anything special. I've GOT to figure this out! Thanks for posting!!

Season said...

Soaking releases the real nutrients in the food and starts a breaking down process so that our bodies can easily digest them. For some reason my daughter who can't have wheat can have it processed this way. This is why so many people have wheat intolerances. It's hard to digest whole.

Notorious M.E.G. said...

Yes, thanks for explaining that. Where do you get your beef & chicken?

Season said...

I buy it at the Falls City store. They pick it up for me from a local farm and it's very reasonable. I pay $120.00 per box (just went up from $95.00). I get 15 lbs of ground beef and 10 lbs of steak. Comes out to be $4.80 (was $3.80, a lot better, can you tell I'm irritated) per lb which is alot compared to the sales but it's worth it to me. I'd rather not eat it then eat the hormones and antibiotics from very sick cows.

Marcee said...

We get out beef from a local farmer freind, but where do you get your chicken? I know you can but it in the store, but it is soooo expensive!