Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homemade Graham Crackers

While Melaina was away today we decided to bake for her for a change. A lady brought these to our women's meeting last Friday and I was really impressed but decided to try them gluten/dairy free of course for Melaina who can no longer eat graham crackers.

Recipe:

1/2 c. cooking oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 c. honey (I used raw, unfiltered)
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
3 1\2 c. pastry whole wheat flour (I used spelt flour which is technically a gluten but very easy to digest. It does not bother Melaina at all and can be substituted straight across for wheat flour. I'm pretty sure regular wheat flour would work just fine also.)
1 1\2 t. baking powder
2 t. cinnamon
1\2 c. milk (I used goat's milk and you actually couldn't taste it at all)

Mix liquids first except milk, then add dry ingredients alternately with milk. If dough is too sticky add more flour. It should be stiff enough to roll out on a floured surface without sticking. Roll out to 1/4" thick (The thinner they are the crunchier they get. My first batch was a little too think and tasted more like cookies then crackers but still very yummy). Cut in squares or with your favorite cutters. Prick with a fork to make holes and bake at 300 until edges are slightly brown (This was about 12 min. in my oven). Cool before removing from cookie tray.


1 comment:

Aly sun said...

delicious idea! And very cool that you can adapt it for different allergies.